Thursday, January 29, 2009

Very Eggciting times! January 29th

Having chickens is soo fun. I absolutely love it. It is soo neat everyday to look in the nesting boxes and see how many eggs you have recieved that day. You begin to know who has been slacking off the job and who has been consistent. I can't say that for all my girls since only roughly 6 ( of 16) are laying. It is also so very neat to share this experience with Savannah and Malia. They are learning so much besides respect and caring for animals, but what they give to us, self sustainability, recycling and somewhat a feel for farm life. I want them to get them into 4H when they are old enough because I think it would be so fun. I should have been in 4 H when I was little, I would have loved it. So every day we visit our chickens and give them our left over food scraps along with picking weeds/grass and scratch. ( seed mix)
Here is one of our first green eggs laid by and Easter Egger chicken often times miscorrectly called Amerarcauna. These hens lay green/blue sometimes even pinkish eggs naturally.
Assorted colored eggs! Aren't they beautiful. 3 days worth.

Here is 4 days worth of eggs. ( sofar) Soon we will be over our heads with eggs by the 4th day. lol!I can't wait for more eggs and more colors. All of these eggs are naturally pigmented that way. My next adventure/goal would be to add a chicken/chickens who lay deep chocolate colored eggs!

No comments: